Cancelled due to COVID-19. Explaining the Rise and Fall of Social Democracy in Post War Europe, Prof. Marcus Buck, Jonas Stein, UiT
In the RFSD project we aim at explaining the enormous successes and later decline of the Social Democratic parties of Western Europe from the aftermath of WWII till today by employing advanced quantitative methods at various levels of analysis:
1) Parliamentary and Presidential Elections, Elections to the European Parliament (EP) and referendums concerning the EU
2) Party organization(s), membership rates and types (individual, collective etc.). Relationships with other “working class” and non working class organizations (including parties)
3) Representatives (numbers and characteristic)
4) Governments (numbers and types)
5) Party profiles, programs and policies
The team is, together with CUNP, organizing a working seminar aiming to put together an application for funding the project. The steering group is formed by researchers from UiT – the Arctic University of Norway and UiB. Team members also include scholars from Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Spain, France and United Kingdom.